The YWCA Committee for Youth Education and Development (CYED), a committee of the YWCA/NYC Flushing Branch, a 22 year old veteran community-based organization, was established in November 1999 to address the current issues that Asian American youth are facing:
- 47.7% of Asian American children are born into poor or near poor families.
- One out of three Asian American NYC public high school students drop out or fail to graduate with their
- 17% of Asian American boys in grades 5-12 reported physical abuse, the highest compared to any other ethnic group in their age category.
- The number of Asian American youth arrests increased 38% for major criminal activities in New York City from 1993-1996.
- Young Asian American women ages 15-24 have the highest suicide rate in their age group.
- Asian American girls in grades 5 to 12 have the highest rates of depressive symptoms
- Population increase deserves more care: (1) Asian children now account for 10.3 % of public NYC schools. (2) Youth 18 and under now equal one-quarter of Asian population in this city.
- Every 1 hour, an Asian American baby is born to a teen mother
- Every 6 hours, an Asian American child is arrested for drug abuse
To support the expansion and improve the quality of education and development programs for youth by pursuing the following objectives:
- Raise awareness in the community about the YWCA Youth Center and current issues of Asian American youth.
- Seek innovative ideas to further augment educational and developmental programs for youth while securing quality of YWCA Youth Center programs.
- Increase the availability for role models while using language and cultural sensitivity as a foundation for youth outreach and programming.
Advisor: Grace Lyu-Volkhausen, Board Member, YWCA City of New York;
Board Member, YWCA City of New York Flushing Branch
- Tseng Chow, Project Manager, Paine Webber
- Paul Jeun, Associate Attorney, Hawkins, Delafield, and Wood
- Parag Khandar, Census 2000 Coordinator, Asian American Federation of NY
- Sunny Kim, Sales and Marketing Associate, SK Global;
Board Member, Asian Professional Extension
- John Liu, Consultant, Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP
- Paul Shean, Consultant, Andersen Consulting;
Advancement Committee Chair, y-KAN Korean American Network
- Helen Shin, Gallery Administrative Assistant, Richard York Gallery
Staff: Jennifer Choi, Youth Center Director, YWCA City of New York Flushing Branch